Title: Manager of Sales, Pacific
Location: home office in the Pacific, specifically California, Idaho, or Hawaii*
*candidates must live in the territory to be considered for this position
About Inquiry By Design
Inquiry By Design is a small, but fast-growing company offering a unique, integrated reading and writing curriculum for grades 3-12. Our inquiry-based, research-driven approach is built on the core belief that all students deserve, and even crave, authentic, meaningful work with engaging and complex texts.
It is an exciting time at Inquiry By Design. In the last 3 years, Inquiry By Design has doubled our district partners and now supports more than a quarter-million students each year. The Manager of Sales will help propel our company to its next level of growth—moving Inquiry By Design from a regional presence to a national powerhouse.
- We trust in each other, honoring diverse experiences and expertise.
- We take risks to honor our vision of “all students.”
- We are stronger together; we prioritize collaboration in all areas of the work.
- We care. Employees’ and clients’ well-being matters.
About This Position
We are looking for someone who has curriculum sales experience in the Pacific region and a passion for literacy, education, and equity. Your ability to build key relationships with district stakeholders, your savvy research and data management skills, and your sheer persistence and determination will set you up for success in this role. In partnership with our Director of Sales and Marketing, you will implement our strategic sales framework (including targeted prospecting) to build a robust, qualified sales pipeline for your region.
The Manager of Sales will be responsible for securing and managing sales of Inquiry By Design curriculum to school districts within the assigned territory. This individual will execute a strategic business plan that will increase sales according to company growth expectations.
As Manager of Sales you will
- Maintain consistent and accurate data in Hubspot (CRM), to support territory and account planning; effectively use Hubspot to provide accurate forecasting and to identify, advance, and close opportunities.
- Use research, data, market conditions and relationship building to develop a deep understanding of districts to target for Inquiry By Design’s ELA curriculum.
- Research and pre-qualify leads and opportunities through prospecting via phone and email to build a pipeline (~50 touchpoints/day on average).
- Demonstrate successful deal management skills including alignment of decision makers and our ELA curriculum.
- Respond to client requests with appropriate timeliness and concern; develop credibility and trust with the client.
- Attain and surpass sales goals, with the proven ability to develop and build customer relationships with the goal of expanding market penetration in the Pacific region.
- Create and execute marketing and strategic territory plans, with excellent organization and follow through.
- Conduct successful sales presentations and coordinate and conduct in-service presentations.
- Generate appointments, develop strategy, and present both in person and virtually.
- Use appropriate written and oral communication skills internally and externally.
- Plan and execute components of the Inquiry By Design Sales Framework for your region, including education conferences, newsletters, and social media.
- Advance our company values of trust, diversity, risk-taking, collaboration, and well being.
A successful candidate will have*
*Inquiry By Design understands that job requirements sometimes exclude historically marginalized groups such as BIPOC individuals or those who identify as LGBTQ+ from applying to jobs for which they are qualified. Even if you don’t meet 100% of the specific requirements listed below, or if you achieved these requirements through unconventional channels, we encourage you to apply.
- At least three years of sales experience in education curriculum or EdTech sales.
- Demonstrated success in achieving sales quotas; experience closing contracts exceeding $250,000.
- Existing relationships with high level district and school officials in your region.
- Proven track record of selling to school districts with 5,000-30,000 student enrollment.
- Exceptional organizational, territory, and time management proficiency.
- Experience managing multiple accounts simultaneously.
- Experience working with national and state K-12 conferences.
- Ability to travel regularly in your region, up to 25% of the time.
Inquiry By Design is honored to be an equal opportunity workplace. We realize that by creating teams rich in diverse thought and experience, our people, company, and customers are free to thrive. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), age, marital status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification or characteristic under applicable local laws. In addition, Inquiry By Design values privacy and the protection of personal information.
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary range: $60,000 – $80,000 + commission (commensurate with experience and qualifications)
- Health benefits (medical, vision, dental)
- Company-matched retirement plan (4% of salary)
- Flexible spending accounts
- Annual company retreat
- Unlimited PTO
Ideal Start Date
June 12, 2023
Submit a resume and, in lieu of a cover letter, write an Initial Sales Outreach Email to a district executive briefly introducing Inquiry By Design with an objective of landing the first meeting. Include a subject for the email. Please submit both materials as pdfs and save in filename format “LastName_FirstName_Resume.pdf” and “LastName_FirstName_Outreach.pdf.”
For questions contact firstname.lastname@example.org.