Close Reading in the Content Area:
Science and Social Studies
Check back for upcoming dates!
Our upcoming workshops are specifically designed to help social studies and science teachers understand and develop text-based close reading lessons to support the work described in the Common Core State Standards.
During this interactive session participants work through a series of close reading lessons as learners to answer:
- What is close reading in social studies and science?
- What role does close reading play in supporting students’ comprehension of complex texts?
- What does engaging, CCSS-aligned reading and writing instruction look like in the classroom?
- How can we help all students be more adept at comprehending complex texts?
We encourage you to send your secondary social studies and science teachers to this important workshop. We guarantee teachers will leave with renewed confidence and a wide range of practical ideas for teaching close reading.
Who should attend?
- Secondary social studies and science teachers
- Instructional coaches who support social studies or science content areas
- Secondary ELA teachers wanting to learn about close reading of informational texts
- District and school-based administrators supporting secondary social studies and science
Registration is $229 per person. For teams of two or more, registration for the first person is $229; each additional registration is $199.
Workshop hours are 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
(Registration, coffee, and continental breakfast from 8:00 a.m. – 8:30 a.m.)
Lunch on your own.
Special offer! All participants will receive a sample teacher manual and student reader. Teachers can use these resources to model their own close reading lessons for their classes.